Tuesday 15 January 2013

Craft Council Launches Member Mixers


One of the impressive shows and catalogues at SOFA 2012 organized by a collector's group.

This coming Friday, the 18th of January the Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador is launching its series of Member Mixer events.  These will be 30-minute long presentations that bring together the membership of the Council for conversation about issues that impact them as professional craftspeople and light refreshments.  The presentations will be Skyped if possible.  You can contact amanuel@craftcouncil.nl.ca.
For more information.

First up will be Jason Holley and myself speaking about the SOFA Chicago 2012 Art + Design Expo.  Jason will speak from the artist's perspective as he was a recent solo featured artist and I will speak from a curator's point of view.  As a curator I end up with a dual passport that gives me entry to both the collector and dealer's worlds.  So, if you'd like to know what it is really like to deal with the platinum credit card set south of the border this event should interest you. 

The event starts at 4:30, with the presentation at 5 p.m.  It should wrap up in time for about 6.

I will be talking about the trends I noted during the Art Fair; what the dealers shared with me regarding what they are looking for and how they view artists and fine craft makers as well as how they are coping with the financial ups and downs; and tidbits like who, among the public, visited SOFA 2012.  Here's a hint of what's up my sleeve:  I was told that fewer and fewer galleries are hosting opening receptions.  "They are just parties for the artists' friends" one dealer lamented to me.  The serious selling happens before the opening or afterward.  The trend is toward joint openings held among galleries within the same geographic region or neighbourhood and these are geared toward building new audiences or public relations.  Galleries are trying to work together rather than compete. 
These gloves are by Ellen Green who is originally a tattoo artist and someone whose work I am following since SOFA 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment